Long Term Living Services

Long Term Living Programs and Services include Nursing Home Transition (NHT), Domiciliary Care, Aging Waiver Program, and Pre-Admission Assessment. These services are available to individuals that meet the eligibility requirements of each program and choose to live in the community.

Nursing Home Transition Program

The power of choice is often the very thing people want most. Individuals who have entered a nursing facility may decide that they prefer to live in the community, and the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services’ Nursing Home Transition (NHT) program can help. There are often barriers preventing an individual from successfully moving back into the community, such as the need for formal caregiving assistance, housing accessibility or home modification issues, financial concerns, family issues, substance use issues, and many others.

The Mifflin-Juniata Area Agency on Aging’s NHT team empowers and educates consumers while assisting them in finding the appropriate supporting services. One of the most common community-based supports sought by NHT applicants is waiver enrollment; MJAAA facilitates enrollment into the PDA Aging waiver program, which offers program oversight through service coordination and management of the consumer’s needs with the goal of remaining in the community. The NHT agent will communicate with all vested parties such as the PA Independent Enrollment Broker (PAIEB), service coordination agencies, nursing home discharge coordinators, and housing or substance abuse agents. Special funding is available to help Nursing Home Transition consumers with limited financial resources pay for specified one-time transition expenses.

To qualify for the program an individual must be a nursing facility resident over the age of 60 years, have a barrier preventing transition to the community under the normal discharge process or have resided in the nursing facility for at least 90 days with one day qualifying Medical Assistance day. A referral to the NHT program can be made by the nursing home social worker, the individual, a family member, or other advocates acting on behalf of the consumer.

For more information on NHT, please call 717-242-0315 and ask for one of the following staff members:

  • Lindsey Heider, Care Manager; ext. 119
  • Deb Mohr, Care Manager; ext. 123
  • Beth Manbeck, RN; ext. 116


Aging Waiver Program:

Aging Home and Community-Based Waiver Services may be available to Pennsylvanians over the age of 60, allowing them to continue to live in their homes and communities with support and services.

To be eligible for the Aging Waiver, you must:

  • Be a resident of Pennsylvania
  • Be a U.S. citizen or a qualified Non-citizen
  • Have a Social Security Number
  • Be 60 years of age or older
  • Meet the level of care needs for a Skilled Nursing Facility
  • Meet financial requirements as determined by the local County Assistance Office


Services that may be available include:

  • Accessibility Adaptations, Equipment, Technology and Medical Supplies
  • Adult Daily Living Services
  • Community Transition Services
  • Home Delivered Meals
  • Home Health Services
  • Non-Medical Transportation Services
  • Participant-Directed Community Supports
  • Participant-Directed Goods and Services
  • Personal Assistance Services
  • Personal Emergency Response System (PERS)
  • Respite
  • Service Coordination
  • TeleCare
  • Therapeutic and Counseling Services


There is no cap on the services that Aging Waiver participants receive, no cost sharing or contributions allowed. For more information, contact the Office of Long-Term Living Bureau of Participant Operations at (717) 787-8091, or toll free 1-800-753-8827; or the Mifflin-Juniata Area Agency on Aging at (717) 242-0315 or 1-800-348-2277.

Pre-Admission Assessment:

The Mifflin-Juniata Area Agency on Aging will accept referrals for completion of assessments to determine eligibility for any of the following criteria:

  • Consumer is currently Medicaid eligible applying for nursing facility placement
  • Consumer is currently in a nursing facility that becomes eligible for Medicaid
  • Anyone requesting consideration for admission into a nursing facility
  • Consumers who are applying for or already reside in a licensed facility (Personal Care Boarding Home or Dom Care) and need or have the SSI Supplement.


In most instances, consumers must have a physician complete a MA-51 form before the pre-admission assessment can be completed.